Placed at the centre of a roundabout at the entrance of the historical centre beyond the torrent of the city, the Pietro Barilla monument was commissioned by the Barilla family by the sculptor Pietro Cascella who also collaborated in the construction of the Barilla factory.
The inauguration was on 13 January 1994 for the monument requested by the same Pietro Barilla, who had rather thought of a monument to the Emilia Road. However, he died prematurely the year before from a sudden heart attack.
Pietro Cascella was born in Pescara in 1921, son of Tommaso Cascella.
After a start as a painter, he decided to dedicate himself to ceramics and then sculpture. He participated in major international competitions, among which the Venice Biennale , the Rome Quadriennale , the Tokyo Biennale , and the Antwerp Biennale .
He has had personal shows in Rome, Milan, Venice, Paris, New York, Brussels, and London.
He has created commemorative monuments, among which the one in memory of the political victims of Auschwitz (done in collaboration with his brother Andrea), then the "Monument for the Congress of Nations" in Strasbourg, the "Door of Peace" in Israel, the "Monument to Mazzini" in Milan.
Many of his sculptures have been created in Abruzzo, among which the great fountain "The Ship” in Pescara. He currently lives in Fivizzano, in Milan and Spoltore (PE)."